We discussed Emotional Intelligence (EI) in our Strategic HR Class recently. This bright batch will soon pass-out with their MBA degrees.
One of the PPT slides highlighted the research findings of Byron Stock and Associates – building Emotional Intelligence creates new levels of peak performance for individuals, teams and the entire organization.
• Increase personal productivity • Improve communication
• Make faster, better decisions
• Influence others
• Resolve conflict constructively
• Reduce stress & worry
• Improve work/life balance
Organizations have pockets of negative emotions
The research suggested further that many organizations are breeding grounds for negative emotions that keep people from thinking clearly, hampers effective communication, limits creativity and drives up the cost of health care. All the class participants agreed that an organization with a joyful culture will reflect a high level of EI. Organizations collective EI can impact on the ‘bottom-line’ or revenue. How does this happen?
Care, joy and appreciation
When we experience emotion (like care, joy, appreciation) the brain releases cortical facilitation that acts like a lubricant on the communication between the emotional brain and the thinking brain, which allows us to access quickly and easily what we know and what we know how to do. In this state the mind is calm and creative leading to innovativeness.
Hummingbird a Messenger of Joy
I had put the symbol of a hummingbird on one of my EI PPT slides. My young friend Akash Verma was quick to pop the question ‘Sir, why the hummingbird’? I admit I was unable to give a comprehensive answer on the spot 🙂 and so this post. Here are some Hummingbird quotes in praise:
• The Hummingbird may be small, but it so full of joy that when it comes to you joy will take over.
• The Hummingbird is a symbol of good health. The Hummingbird is the only bird that can fly backwards. This is a reminder that the past can’t be changed but the past can teach lessons.
• The Hummingbird comes when it seems that what needs to be done is impossible. It teaches how to find joy in any circumstance.
• Hummingbirds remind us to hum. Humming creates an internal massage, restoring health and balance. Find joy in what you do and sing it out.
Power of Om
When we chant Om the sound is generated in navel and taken up very slowly to the opening on the top of the head with the closing sound M (humming sound). The vibration set up by this word is very powerful. The chanting drives away all worldly thoughts and removes distractions.
Please do share your views on how Emotional Intelligence levels can be raised in organizations?